John Lim is a legal strategist who advises clients in a broad array of complex real estate and corporate transactions for Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, institutional and private investors, lenders, developers, national retailers, and emerging technology companies. Mr. Lim received the 2019 Spirit of Excellence Award bestowed by the American Bar Association and has been selected as a “Southern California Super Lawyer” numerous times.
Anchored in his unceasing passion for equal opportunity and a just and equitable society, Mr. Lim has served and currently serves on numerous nonprofit organizations. He has been one of the founders and/or board chair of several of those organizations. For his work in the community, Mr. Lim has been recognized with numerous awards, including the Pro Bono Legal Services Award granted by the State Bar of California for his leadership for the relief work following the Los Angeles 1992 civil unrest. Mr. Lim is most proud of his work with the Advancing Justice of SoCal where he served as a board member for 30 years (7 of which as the board chair) to advance the civil rights of AAPIs throughout the US.
As co-founder of LimNexus LLP, Mr. Lim currently serves as the chair of the firm’s Executive Committee.
Mr. Lim’s work as corporate and/or real estate counsel has included representation of:
- A global entertainment enterprise for organizational planning and corporate strategy.
- A global healthcare organization for acquisition of a major hospital campus.
- A national retailer in consolidating business and logistics operations.
- A federal agency in complex loan workouts and dispositions, including investigative work for D&O claims.
- A global manufacturer in an ABL transaction involving multi-state and cross-border collaterals.
- A global company in crafting a strategy for converging data to formulate best practices regarding cybersecurity and privacy issues.
- A regional developer for several iconic retail projects involving DDAs, REAs, and CC&Rs and complex financing structures, including conventional and EB-5 financings.
- A family-owned national grocery retailer in formulating a multi-disciplinary corporate succession strategy.
- A consortium of developers for all phases of creating the largest commercial condominium project in California.
- A global auto maker in crafting financing structure for renewable energy project positioned in throughout California.
- California -1982
- U.S. District Court Central District of California – 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- “Zen and the Art of Real Estate Loan Workouts,” presented to the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- “10 Must-Do’s in CRE Loan Workouts and What Happens if Workout Fails,” presented to bankers at large in Los Angeles
- “Legal Issues for Hotel Operators,” presented to the Korean American Hotel Association
- “Commercial Development in Mid-Wilshire Area,” presented to lawyers attending CEB seminar
- “Real Estate Workout and Bankruptcy,” presented to Korean Chamber of Commerce of Los Angeles
- “Recent Developments in California Anti-Deficiency Rules,” presented to various local bar organizations
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Southern California, Current Member of Executive Advisory Board and Former Board Member
- California Bar Foundation, Former Board Member
- Council of Korean Americans, Former Board Chair
- UC Hastings Foundation, Former Member of Board of Trustees
- UCI Law, Emeritus Member of Board of Visitors
- Korean American Foundation, Secretary and Board Member
- Korean American National Museum, Secretary and Board Member
- Korean American Institute, Board Chair
Awards & Accolades
- American Bar Association Spirit of Excellence Award (2019)
- Southern California Super Lawyer (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2012)
- Community Leadership Award, presented by the Korean American Bar Association
- Wiley W. Manuel Award for Pro Bono Legal Services, presented by the State Bar of California
- Legal Impact Award, presented by Asian Americans Advancing Justice
- Champion of Justice, Western Justice Center