George Busu’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation and intellectual property.
In the litigation arena, Mr. Busu has extensive experience with complex business disputes, intellectual property litigation, state court appeals, and recognition of foreign country money judgments. He recognizes the importance of communication and learning the client’s business to ensure that the litigation approach aligns with the client’s goals and needs.
Mr. Busu’s intellectual property counseling covers the spectrum of trademark and copyright matters with due consideration for the appropriate balance between practical business and legal concerns. He practices in a broad range of industries such as cosmetics, biotech, banking and fashion. He has in-depth experience in trademark risk analysis, registration, portfolio management and brand development.
Mr. Busu is a graduate of Yale Law School where he also served as Senior Editor of the Yale Journal of International Law.
- Obtained permanent injunction for foreign broadcasters against defendants rebroadcasting television programming.
- Obtained rare default fraud judgment in complex bank fraud case, and summary judgment in adversary proceeding for non-dischargeability of judgment debt.
- Appeal of novel issue under the Uniform Commercial Code regarding intent of check signer, resulting in published opinion.
- Obtained summary judgment in case under the Uniform Foreign Country Money Judgments Recognition Act after taking three appeals, resulting in two published opinions.
- Successfully defended against anti-SLAPP motion brought by major insurer in connection with enforcement proceedings of $100 million judgment debt.
- Represented large utility company in complex mass joinder tort litigation, including through appeal.
- Defended and negotiated dismissal with prejudice of Trademark Trial and Appeal Board trademark cancellation proceeding.
- Successfully defended against anti-SLAPP motion brought by fashion company in connection with trademark infringement dispute.
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- California Lawyers Association: “Cross-Border Discovery and Enforcement of Judgments and Orders”, October 12, 2019
- “Women@theTable: Flex-Time, Flex-Place, Flex-Bias”, July 14, 2017
Professional Associations and Membership
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member
- California Lawyers Association, Member
- International Trademark Association, Member
- Represented museum in connection with COVID-19 related matters, including developing reopening plan and dealing with commercial tenant issues.
- Successfully represented partner of a woman who was sexually assaulted by former employer on cross-complaint for indemnity.