Nicholas M. Roegner
Nicholas Roegner assists clients ranging in size from global multinational corporations to small startups, effectively and efficiently managing their international trade and regulatory compliance requirements. His practice focuses on military and dual-use export controls, economic sanctions and other restrictive measures, import and customs regulations, anti-bribery laws, and international investment restrictions including CFIUS. Mr. Roegner is an expert in helping clients implement strategies to navigate complex legal and regulatory requirements into the client’s operational and business goals in a manner that balances business, corporate compliance, and legal interests.
In addition to advising on the law, Mr. Roegner’s expertise includes evaluating, designing and improving corporate compliance systems, managing implementation projects across corporate divisions and lines of business, and drafting and implementing documented controls (processes, procedures and work instructions) that are tailored to specific operational and regulatory functions. For over 20 years he has led numerous responses to government investigations of potential compliance violations, and conducted training of functional groups and individuals when corrective actions are implemented. Additionally, Mr. Roegner reviews transactions, acquisitions and divestments for legal and regulatory compliance exposure while developing practical and effective remedial measures.
Previously, Mr. Roegner founded and managed an international trade compliance consulting practice. Mr. Roegner has also worked for a leading global financial institution with global trade matters and a UK-based global law firm on international financial transactions.
- New York
- District of Columbia
- Designed and implemented numerous compliance programs for global companies in the aerospace, defense, space tech, life sciences, military and software industries.
- Created OFAC compliance program for a UK-based defense manufacturer and assisted with transactional OFAC reviews and licensing approvals.
- Drafted trade compliance manuals for US, EU and Asia based companies.
- Managed a large export and import classification project of petrochemical materials (import, US and foreign jurisdictions) for a US-based petrochemical company.
- Assisted a life sciences developer and manufacturer of chemical and biological countermeasures with export regulatory compliance issues and licensing.
- Designed and implemented a FCPA compliance program across multiple business and functional groups for a Silicon Valley-based financial technology company.
- Conducted CFIUS audit of a manufacturer of genetic research tools and DNA clone samples, and authored verification reports to CFIUS.
- Advised on customs and export legal requirements for the largest logistics company in the world.
Past Employment Positions
- J.P. Morgan Chase, Dulles, Virginia
- Clifford Chance, London England