Nick Begakis focuses his practice on complex litigation and trial work. His experience includes business disputes, consumer class actions, product liability and catastrophic injury defense, environmental litigation, and real estate litigation. Mr. Begakis has tried cases in both state and federal court and has experience at all phases of litigation.
Prior to joining LimNexus, Mr. Begakis practiced at Paul Hastings, LLP, Glaser Weil Fink Howard Avchen & Shapiro, LLP and served as an extern to the Hon. Marvin Baxter of the California Supreme Court.
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- First-chaired trial of former inmate’s claims against the County of Los Angeles for failure to provide adequate medical care (pro bono matter). Settled on favorable terms during jury deliberations.
- Second-chaired the trial and retrial of a Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Deputy charged with obstruction of justice for his involvement in the movement of an inmate that was providing information to the FBI.
- Second-chaired defense of a real estate development company in fraud and breach of contract action. Successful in defeating all tort and punitive damages claims.
- Food manufacturer in successful defense of putative nationwide class action at bench trial and motion for class certification.
- Utility in catastrophic injury litigation, including successfully obtaining temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction precluding contractor from conducting dangerous excavation.
- Utility in successful recovery of damages caused by excavator to significant utility infrastructure.
- Major financial institutions in restructuring and asset recovery actions.
- Municipality in connection with numerous state and federal court actions under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (“CERCLA”), the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (“RCRA”).
- Major cosmetics companies in connection with numerous consumer class actions in both state and federal court alleging false advertising and unfair competition claims.
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. Marvin Baxter of the California Supreme Court, Extern
- Paul Hastings, LLP
- Glaser Weil Fink Howard Avchen & Shapiro, LLP
- Dennis S. Ellis, Katherine F. Murray, Nicholas J. Begakis & Adam Reich, Enforcement of Judgments: A Practitioner’s Guide to Recovery (Law Journal Press 2016)
- Presenter, “Witness Interviews: What They Are, When to Use Them, and What Young Lawyers Need to Know.” Los Angeles County Bar Association, Barristers CLE Committee 2016
- Presenter, “Litigator’s Insight – Drafting the Deal.” Los Angeles County Bar Association, Barristers CLE Committee 2018.
- Form Executive Committee Member and CLE Committee Chairman, Los Angeles County Bar Association Barristers Section
- Representation of at-risk youth in proceedings before the Children's Court
- Represented a former inmate in trial of claims related to inadequate medical treatment while in custody; case settled favorably during jury deliberations.
- Represented putative class challenging detention conditions in a Los Angeles Immigration and Customs Enforcement Facility