James E. Till is an experienced attorney and counselor who advises his clients on a wide variety of business matters, with particular emphasis on chapter 11 bankruptcy, restructuring, and business litigation. Mr. Till has nearly twenty years of experience representing clients not only in some of the nation’s largest bankruptcy cases, but in numerous middle-market reorganizations and workouts as well. These clients have included numerous debtors (including publicly-traded companies), creditors, committees, trustees, landlords and other interested parties in connection with bankruptcy cases, out-of-court restructurings, foreclosure actions, receiverships, adversary proceedings, assignments for the benefit of creditors, related commercial litigation, and other in-court and out-of-court proceedings. Mr. Till has represented clients in general business, commercial and litigation matters in many industries including the technology, entertainment, financial, private equity, hedge fund, public utility, eyewear, airline, transportation and real estate industries.
Mr. Till lives in Orange County, and is based in Los Angeles.
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Central District of California
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Northern District of California
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court District of Oregon
Past Employment Positions
- Perkins Coie, LLP, Associate
- White & Case, LLP, Senior Associate
- Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy, LLP, Senior Associate
- Counsel to chapter 11 liquidating trustee related to twenty-six jointly administered cases involving numerous parties, including SunCal and its financial partner Lehman Brothers.
- General bankruptcy counsel to custom boat builder in chapter 11 restructuring, including confirmation of plan of reorganization, plan negotiations with creditors’ committee, secured lender, taxing authorities and U.S. Trustee in highly contested chapter 11 proceedings.
- Counsel to strategic purchaser of distressed assets in hospitality industry.
- Counsel to Coda Energy in connection with an assignment for the benefit of creditors
- Counsel to assignee related to liquidation of weight-loss company through an assignment for the benefit of creditors.
- Counsel to potential purchaser of assets from bankruptcy estate of In re Airfast Tickets, Inc.
- Advised large media company on reorganization issues.
- Counsel to judgment creditor in chapter 11 reorganization case of In re Baby Trend, Inc.
- Counsel to potential purchaser of substantially all of the assets of chapter 11 debtors Townsend Corporation/LRJC, Inc.
- Counsel to purchaser of substantially all of the assets of the bankruptcy estate of Zacky Farms, LLC.
- General bankruptcy counsel to large developer of residential real estate projects in California.
- General bankruptcy counsel to large developer of residential real estate projects in Arizona and Nevada.
- Counsel to real estate development company in its chapter 11 reorganization case, including confirmation of its plan of reorganization.
- General bankruptcy counsel to hotel and condominium unit project in Northern California.
- Counsel to independent power producer and energy marketing and risk management company in its chapter 11 proceedings.
- Counsel to municipal creditor in PG&E bankruptcy case.
- Counsel to Boeing in numerous preference and chapter 5 avoidance adversary proceedings, as well as other related creditor rights issues, in numerous airline and airline-related bankruptcy cases.
- Counsel to leading utility in numerous preference and chapter 5 avoidance adversary proceedings.
- Counsel to bank syndicate in defense of plaintiffs’ $191 million in lender liability claims.
- Successful defense of $50 million preference and fraudulent transfer avoidance action brought by liquidating trustee of bankrupt wholesale electrical power trader.