Irwin S. Evans practices personal injury defense, commercial litigation, product liability, breach of warranty, and insurance defense. He also acts as special panel counsel in matters involving police misconduct, injuries due to municipal transportation (vehicular and rail), and school district liability.
Mr. Evans has tried in excess of 170 cases. His insurance defense cases have involved auto accidents, slip and fall, injuries using various instrumentalities, and mold exposure. He has tried cases involving breach of contract representing many industries, individuals, and class actions. Mr. Evans' product liability and breach of warranty experience includes trying cases on behalf of automobile manufactures alleging sudden acceleration, fire damage to vehicle and persons, mechanical failure, restraint issues, chemical inhalation, press brake failure, and vehicle trailer design. He has represented automobile manufacturers in all breach of warranty cases for five Southern California counties.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Evans was partner at the firms of Atkins & Evans LLP; Cochran, Atkins & Evans; and Lenoir, Young & Evans. He was also Senior Trial Deputy for the City Attorney's Office for the City of Los Angeles. Mr. Evans has served as an evaluator for the Auerback Corporation, evaluating legal service programs for the Western Continental United States and Hawaii. He has also served as a lecturer for the Model Neighborhood Commission on Justice and as the advisor of Minority Businesses for I.M.P.A.C.
Mr. Evans is past president of the California Association of Black Lawyers, past chairman of the Personal Injury & Commercial Litigation section of the National Bar Association Commercial Law Section, and former member of the Board of Directors of the National Bar Association. He is a former member of the State Bar Commission on Judicial Nominees Evaluation, which evaluates persons under consideration by the governor for appointment to the bench in all courts in California. Mr. Evans is currently a member of the Federal Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel. He has lectured extensively on personal injury litigation and law office management for the California and Nevada Bar Associations.
He received his B.A. in Sociology from California State University of Los Angeles and his J.D. at Loyola University. In law school, Mr. Evans was a finalist in the Moot Court Honors Competition and was awarded the Bancroft-Whitney Award in Corporations. Mr. Evans is a member of the Los Angeles County, American Bar, and National Bar Associations, as well as the California Association of Black Lawyers and the Defense Research Institute ( DRI). Mr. Evans is admitted to practice in the State of California, the California Supreme Court, U.S. Court of Appeals NinthCircuit, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Bedrosian v. Ford Motor, 2 Civil B077408, 1994, Court of Appeals
- Tollison v. Trailmobile, B058048, 1992, Court of Appeals
- Frank Silvio V. Ford Motor Co., 109 Cal App. 4 th 1205
- Johnson v. Honeywell Int. Inc., 179 Cal App. 4 th 546
- Wells Fargo Bank
Past Employment Positions
- Gonzalez Saggio & Harlan, LLP, Partner, 1966 to 1969
- Atkins & Evans LLP, Partner
- Cochran, Atkins & Evans, Partner
- Lenoir, Young & Evans, Partner
- Auerback Corporation, Evaluator
- City Attorney's Office for the City of Los Angeles, Senior Trial Deputy
- Minority Businesses for I.M.P.A.C, Advisor
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- Ford Motor Company
- Southern California Edison
- Presenter, Starting & Nurturing a Law Practice, Nevada Bar Association, 1993
- Presenter, Day to Day Case/Time Management, California Bar Association, 1994
- Presenter, Selection and Designation of Expert Witnesses
- Presenter, Law Office Management for Small Firms for California State Bar: Nevada State Bar
- Lecturer, Model Neighborhood Commission on Justice
- Kappa Alpha Psi
- Phi Alpha Delta