Grant L. Kim has successfully represented clients from the U.S., Asia, and Europe in numerous international arbitrations, patent, copyright, and trade secret lawsuits, and other commercial litigation. He regularly serves as an arbitrator under the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), the American Arbitration Association (AAA), and the Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (KCAB). He has also decided Internet domain names disputes for the ICDR and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). He is a member of the panel of arbitrators of the AAA, ICDR, KCAB, WIPO, Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre, and the CPR Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution, and a member of the Tech List of the Silicon Valley Arbitration and Mediation Center (SVAMC).
Mr. Kim excels at presenting complex disputes and technology in a clear and persuasive manner. He has dealt with diverse technology, including computer software and hardware, biotech, semiconductors, smartphones, and medical and mechanical devices. He frequently speaks about international arbitration and intellectual property at conferences in the U.S. and Asia, and has made a number of presentations on this subject.
Mr. Kim previously worked for many years at leading international law firms in the U.S. (Morrison & Foerster, 25 years) and in South Korea (Kim & Chang in Seoul, close to 5 years). He also served as a Staff Attorney for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. His grandparents were among the ﬁrst wave of Korean immigrants to the U.S. in the early 1900’s; he learned Korean as an adult while living and working in Korea, ﬁrst as an English teacher and later as an attorney.
Mr. Kim is based in San Francisco.
- California, 1984
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- One of three ICDR arbitrators in M&A dispute arising from $100 million Put Option.
- One of three ICC arbitrators in dispute between U.S. and Korean partners to a joint venture in Vietnam.
- One of three ICDR arbitrators in patent indemnity dispute between major U.S. and Taiwan semiconductor companies.
- Sole KCAB arbitrator in dispute arising from license to touchpad technology.
- Sole ICDR arbitrator in technology license dispute between parties from California, Hong Kong, and Taiwan.
- Lead counsel for Korean company in ICDR arbitration in Seoul against its former North American distributor.
- Lead counsel for European company in KCAB arbitration arising from $400 million power plant construction project.
- Lead counsel for Korean company in ICC arbitration in London arising from large construction project.
- Co-lead counsel for Silicon Valley biotech company in ICC arbitration in Switzerland arising from patent license.
- Lead counsel for Korean manufacturer in lawsuit against former U.S. distributor involving breach of contract and tort claims
- Trial counsel in ITC patent case involving video chip technology.
- Obtained large award of damages for U.S. private equity company in ICC arbitration in Singapore, arising from investment in Korean credit card company.
- Obtained favorable summary judgment rulings in separate libel suits against a large U.S. newspaper and a small Korean American newspaper.
- Obtained summary judgment of non-infringement in patent litigation for U.S. mobile phone company.
- Obtained summary judgment of patent ineligibility for U.S. biotech company.
- Obtained reversal of judgment of willful infringement in appeal to the Federal Circuit.
- Trial counsel in patent jury trial involving computer technology.
- Author, Korea’s “Bali Bali” Growth in International Arbitration, 15 PEPPERDINE DISPUTE RESOLUTION LAW JOURNAL 615 (2015)
- Author, Winning an International Arbitration: Key Points for Korean Companies, KOREAN ARBITRATION REVIEW (November 2013)
- Author, East Asian Cultural Influences, Asian Leading Arbitrators’ Guide to International Arbitration (2007)
- Speaker, Cross-Border Tech Disputes, ICDR and SVAMC Conference, Silicon Valley (September 2016)
- Speaker, Developments in International Arbitration in the Asia-Pacific Region, AAA Arbitration Summit, Los Angeles (December 2016)
- Speaker and Moderator, Korea: the ‘New Wave’ In International Arbitration, KCAB Seminar, Los Angeles, (September 2016)
- Conference Organizer and Moderator, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Conference on Resolving Disputes with Companies from Asia, San Francisco (January 2016)
Past Employment Positions
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, Staff Attorney, 1984 to 1986
- California Court of Appeal, Hon. Donald B. King, Judge, Extern, 1983 to 1983
- Kim & Chang, 2000 to 2004
- Morrison & Foerster LLP, San Francisco