David Yang’s practice focuses on business litigation, complex commercial disputes and labor/employment matters. Mr. Yang’s experience includes representing clients in shareholder disputes, partnership disputes, unfair competition, trade secret misappropriation, real property issues, disability discrimination, accommodation and harassment, sexual discrimination and harassment, age discrimination and harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, defamation, anti-SLAPP litigation, wage and hour litigation, Private Attorney General Act claims, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, professional liability, legal malpractice, professional licensing, and fee disputes.
Mr. Yang is committed to his community, Mr. Yang currently serves on the board of the Korean American Bar Association of Southern California, an organization that promotes excellence in the practice of law, supports the advancement of Korean-American candidates to the judicial bench, hosts monthly pro-bono legal clinics for the local under-served communities, and fosters the development of the Korean-American community in Southern California. Mr. Yang served as President of the organization in 2019.
- California, 2009
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 2010
- “Collecting Fees Ethically and Lawfully in California”, Korean American Bar Association, 2019
- "The New California State Bar Ethics Rules: What You Need to Know”, Korean American Bar Association, 2018
- “Facebookkeeping: When Can Your Blog, Tweet or Snapchat Violate Ethics Rules”, Beverly Hills Bar Association, 2016
- “Collectability: The Oft Forgotten Requirement of a Legal Malpractice Claim” , Parker Mills LLP, 2015
- “The Mediation “Privilege”: What Happens at Mediation Stays at Mediation”, Korean American Bar Association, 2015
- “Contingency Fee Agreements and Structured Settlements”, Parker Mills LLP, 2013
- “Pre-Litigation Demand Letters: Assessing the Thin Line Between Zealous Advocacy and Extortion”, County Bar Update, Los Angeles County Bar Association, 2012
Past Employment Positions
- Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office, Law Clerk, May 2006 – May 2008
- Parker Mills LLP, Associate, April 2012 – May 2016
- Green & Associates, Associate, December 2009 – April 2012
- Defended a majority shareholder of a large garment manufacturer and helped defeat a $7 million breach of fiduciary duty claim at a jury trial brought by the corporation’s minority shareholder and former Vice President.
- Represented national law firm in a lawsuit alleging that attorneys unlawfully took company laptops containing clients’ confidential information and trade secret information to their new firms in violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
- Represented a church in commercial landlord-tenant dispute and secured eviction of tenant from multi-million dollar real property.
- Defended garment manufacturer clients in actions alleging the failure to pay commissions under the Independent Whole Sales Representatives Contractual Relations Act of 1990.
- Prosecuted multi-million dollar fraudulent transfer action on behalf of corporate client.
- Defended and prosecuted multi-million dollar breach of contract cases involving 1) the sale of goods governed by the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG) and 2) the sale of goods governed by the California Commercial Code / Uniform Commercial Code.
- Defended utility companies in actions alleging negligence, nuisance, fraud and deceit, trespass, inverse condemnation, intentional infliction of emotional distress, assault, battery, premises liability, and liability for injury under Public Utilities Code section 2106.
- Defended government entity successfully applying governmental immunities and equal protection defenses in an action alleging fraud, nuisance, and equal protection causes of action.
- Defended employer clients in actions alleging failure to pay overtime compensation, failure to provide meal and rest breaks, failure to provide accurate itemized wage statement, waiting time penalties, sexual harassment, discrimination, wrongful termination, unlawful retaliation, and failure to prevent harassment and retaliation.
- Defended employee clients in actions alleging defamation, intentional misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of duty of loyalty, and breach of contract.
- Prosecuted claims on behalf of employee clients in actions alleging wrongful termination, statutory indemnity and implied equitable indemnity.
- Prosecuted commercial breach of contract case, obtained permanent injunction, and monetary judgement which included award prevailing party attorney fees on behalf of commercial landowner.
- Prosecuted commercial unlawful detainer cases for breach of commercial lease agreements, obtained evictions of commercial tenants and secured monetary judgements which included awards of prevailing party attorney fees on behalf of commercial landowner.